What is a neck lift?
A neck lift is often conducted by a cosmetic surgeon to enhance the beauty of a person’s neck and remove from the jaw line or neck, the signs of aging. It is also done to treat skin sagging or wrinkles that may have come up due to weight loss or aging. A neck lift can be performed in combination with a face lift or can be performed as a stand-alone surgery. Often neck lift involves the combination of incision for trimming the excess skin on neck and liposuction. It is also known as lower rhytidecomy.
The neck lift or lower rhytidecomy, without changing the appearance of your skin, gives the skin of your neck a smother, refined and firmer appearance. It also can balance your facial features by giving you a enhanced jaw line that will perfectly suit your face.
What you can achieve by going for a neck lift?
A neck lift is a cosmetic surgery that will offer you the following benefits:
- Excess neck skin removal.
- Altering or removal of the muscles of the neck.
- Removal of excess fat on the neck by liposuction.
- Tackling the problems of bands or fullness with the aid of BOTOX
- Tightening of underlying muscles.
- To perk up the contours of the jaw line.
- Treatment of banding of muscles in the neck.
- You don’t need a long recovery time, most of the patients return to their normal routine within 2 weeks of the surgery.
What is turtle neck?
Due to aging, you may observe across the neck front, the appearance of bands or strips, which is known as platysmal band or neck band. The platysmal band or neck band develops due to the increase in thickness or cord like look of platysm muscles. Since this looks like turkey gobbler, it is known as turtle neck. The turtle neck can be treated efficiently with the neck lift procedure.
Procedure of a neck lift
The neck lift is a set of procedures that are conducted to address concerns of the patient’s regarding the beauty of their necks. Some of the procedures are given below-
- Turkey Wattle – In this procedure of the neck lift, to get access to platysma, a type of neck muscles, the cosmetic surgeon may make a cut, behind ears or under skin or both. In certain cases, the surgeon may even remove part of the muscles.
With the advancement of the modern technology, a certain change has also been introduced in this procedure. The cosmetic surgeon makes small cuts near your neck and uses an endoscope, which is a small camera that is connected to a tube. With the assistance of the endoscope, the surgery is conducted.
You may also choose to be unconscious during the surgery by the use of general anaesthesia, or your surgeon can make use of local anaesthesia for numbing just the area of the surgery. You can choose whatever you are comfortable with.
You may also opt only for the injection of BOTOX after the surgery or in place of the surgery, to ease up the platysma that causes the appearance of the band or a look of fullness.
- Liposuction – In this procedure of neck lift, the cosmetic surgeon removes the excess fat from your neck by making a small cut under the chin. This can cure problems like a short, thick neck or double chin! Often cosmetic surgeon starts the procedure of neck lift with the liposuction. Even if you are opting only for liposuction, you will find that the surgery duration is at least for an hour, because the cuts and incisions need to be properly stitched and dressed up.
- Excess skin – In this procedure of neck lift, the cosmetic surgeon trims the portion of the skin, lifts it to the appropriate place and then secures it with stitches and tissue glitch. Depending on the complexity of the surgery, it may last up to 2 to 4 hours. You may choose between general anaesthesia or local anaesthesia, depending on your comfort level. The cosmetic surgeon will stitch and dress up your wounds, and may also cover the cut or incision with compression bandage that you may have to wear for one week or more as recommended by your doctor.
Meet the best cosmetic surgeon in the town
If you looking for the best consultation and treatment for reinstating the beauty of your neck, then Dr. Debraj Shome who is based out of Mumbai is one of the best consultants available. He is one of the top facial plastic surgeons in India, and owing to his impressive body of work, he has been endowed with the titles like, ‘Top 10 Cosmetic Surgeons in India’, ‘Best Plastic Surgeon in India’ and ‘Best Oculoplastic Surgeon in India’ and many more. He is the co-founder and head of ‘The Esthetic Clinics’ and also works as a consultant at many leading hospitals of Mumbai, including Breach Candy Hospital, Saifee Hospital and Apollo Spectra Hospital.