The one thing that can make a person to appear younger or older than what he/ she actually is the facial contours. As we age, our skin sinks and loses its natural suppleness which gives the cheeks their natural and youthful look. Very few people are born with defined and sculpted cheekbones which make their face look attractive. The sunken- in cheeks can overshadow other features of the face and can make a person’s face look very unappealing.
But there is good news for people who want defined cheek contours. Various surgical and non surgical treatments are now available which can make you give the cheek contours like a movie star! These treatments can give more volume and definition to the cheeks. Cheek augmentation procedures relocate the position of the malar fat pad in the cheeks which gives the cheeks and augmented and elevated look.
Methods by which cheeks can be contoured:-
Your cosmetologist or surgeon may suggest different methods for cheek augmentation. The most common procedures for cheek implantation are cheek implants, fat grating or fat transfer and fillers and injectables.
- Fat grafting: – Just under our eyelids there is fat pad which gives our cheeks their fullness and which sinks down as we age. This causes the bones under the eyes to protrude and give an older look to our face. Such areas of the face, where the amount of fat has reduced can be treated by replacing the fat which is transferred from the patient’s body only. The fat is taken from parts like thighs, hips or buttocks where generally fat content is more. The fat is then injected in the cheek area. The main advantage of this procedure is that there are very less chances of the body to reject the treatment. This treatment has more permanent results and it gives a very natural look to the face. The fat grafting can contour a person’s face shape to exactly his or her liking. In addition to that it improves the quality of the skin as well.
- Cheek implantation or Cheek augmentation: – With ageing, our cheeks become hollow as our skin suffers from sagging. Cheek implants can offer a permanent solution to this problem. The bones in the face change with time and hence the skin muscles are not able to adhere to the bone properly. A cheek augmentation procedure involves very minimal incisions and can lift the cheeks to make them look younger. The fat pad in the cheeks is repositioned under the skin by using a suspension system. The incision is made between the ears and the forehead and two tiny pin holes in the cheeks give access to the fat pad. The sutures keep the augmentation of the cheeks in place.
- Cheek augmentation with injectable fillers: – Volume loss in the skin is the biggest problem with ageing. Injectable fillers are a great way to address the issue in a localized manner. The lost volume can be restored by using injectable fillers. The results are good for six months to a year and the contours of the face are restored. The fillers contain collagen stimulating substances which redefine the shape of the cheeks. They give great results for the areas around the areas around the eyes. The correct method for using the fillers is to put them in front of the cheeks, rather than on the sides of the cheekbones as this gives the face a more natural look.
What to expect out of cheek augmentation or cheek implantation procedure?
Though the results may be immediately visible and they last for a very long time, sometimes if the surgeon is not experience enough it may cause the cheeks to look overcorrected. Therefore it is very important to consult a reputed and qualified surgeon to perform the procedure.
What would the treatment plan involve?
Though the cheek implantation or augmentation procedures are very common in Mumbai, India, if gone wrong, they can wreak havoc for your entire face. And unfortunately, facial surgery cases gone wrong are not unheard of. To be sure about your treatment, it is imperative that you communicate with your doctor before the procedure. The doctor should be able to tell you the following things:-
- What type of procedure will be completely suitable for you.
- Whether or not your expectation from the surgery can be fulfilled.
- Will there be any residual scars and what would be the recovery period.
- Any risks or complications associated with the procedure.
- If required, any alternate treatment plan.
As with any surgical procedure, there are some complications that can occur with cheek augmentation or implantation procedure as well. Possible risks may include allergic reactions, bleeding, adverse reaction to anesthesia, infection, visible scars or hematoma in rare cases.